Re: tg3 driver fails

From: Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 00:38:00 -0400 (EDT)

> In fact, Debian is actively working on resolving this situation.

Keep defending yourselves.  This was a disaster regardless
of the technical reasons or details of the situation.

No user wants to hear a story, they want their systems to work, and
developers do too.  I don't want to hear a story either, because all I
see are user's systems not working and nothing that can be done about
it at this time.

That's why many people are disappointed with the way the latest Debian
stable release turned out.  That's why many developers don't want to
work on Debian any more, and want to move on to other distributions
where it's not politics madness all the time.

I'm not making this up, people email me all the time telling me
they've finally had enough of Debian and intend to move on to put
their energy somewhere deserving of it.

Dismembering drivers so that they are non-functional, making it
literally impossible to get a _one line_ timer chip probing bug fix
for sparc64 into the Debian kernel tree _two months_ leading up to the
stable release, among other things... Yeah keep this kind of stuff up
and Debian has a very bright future.

Because of the _diabolically stupid_ kernel change policies, I
couldn't even help fix bugs in the kernel that were showing up in
sparc64.  It would have been a total waste of my time to submit any
bug fix patches, because nothing was being allowed into the kernel.

It's so unbelievable, I feel like I'm writing fiction when I recount
it.

This policy didn't make the stable release better, or go out more
quickly.  Instead, it turned this Debian release into a complete joke
and ended up pissing off a lot of very capable and talented people who
wanted to improve the release, yet couldn't because their hands were
tied.

It's all the stupid politics.

Debian can either use this as a lesson and learn, or the Debian folks
can decide instead to continue sitting around trying to justify what
happened with this argument or that argument.

You decide.