Re: tg3 driver fails

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Dave Love wrote:

I got an install going on a v210 by replacing its 1GB memory with
512MB.  However, I can't get the network interfaces working.  They
appear to require the tg3 driver, which fails (see additions to bug
#315978 for details).  Is this a known problem, and is there any way
round it?

Hi Dave,

Yes, this is a known problem. The firmware has been removed from the driver due to unclear licensing information and failure to comply with DFSG (Debian Free Software Guidelines). I am afraid that the only feasible solution for Sarge kernels is to rebuild your kernel (or, at least, the tg3 module) using the pristine kernel source from kernel.org. The efforts to make it work in future installer and kernel versions are under way.

I'll try to have a look whether there is a simple way to produce a functional driver without rebuilding the entire kernel.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org