Re: tg3 driver fails

From: Hendrik Sattler <ubq7@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:25:04 +0200

> They removed that code without actually testing that the driver still works or
> without providing any method to make it working again? Why didn't they remove
> the whole driver, then?

Because they have commited an entirely irresponsible act by
breaking people's systems like this.

> However, I agree that all firmware should be removed from the kernel and
> provided externally (like done with the AVM B1 ISDN cards).
> However, Debian _must_ tell then, where to find the firmware (means: don't let
> the user alone with this)!

This doesn't work either.  What if the tg3 card is your only
network access?  How might you get that magic firmware file?

This scheme doesn't work, firmware belongs in the kernel tree
so that at boot time, regardless of your internet access, you
can get a working device.

What if I want to use NFS root over the tg3 device?

This whole situation is utterly rediculious and does nothing other
than hurt users.