Re: No sound in Ultra 5 running Debian 3.1

Hello,
afaik there are some issues using alsa & friends.
Maybe it's that kind of problem you're facing.
(I don't understand what is the beep you mentionned)
Sound works well on my U5 but only when I enable
the sparcaudio drivers and with no soundcard support in
the kernel. Moreover I use aumix and audioctl to control the
mixer. And only few players do their job (hum .. xmms works
only when I launch gqmpeg just before).
I posted an answer few months ago for the same "sound-on-u5" issue.
I might be wrong and not up-to-date but I hope it will help you.
For further hints  ...  as far as I remember I wrote some here:
http://ginfo.egim-mrs.fr/article.php3?id_article=36

kind regards,

Aurélien