Sarge CD install hangs...

I have this sparc ultra 5 360 that I bought from Kachina Tech way back
when. (They are no longer in business...) The machine has been in
"moth balls" for several years while I waited on a project. Well,
Sarge was released and I bought a set of install disks from copyleft
(Thanks Phil!) and with a bit of reading (thanks for the reminders
about how to get into OpenBoot, although on my machine it is
Ctrl-Break followed by A ;-) I was able to get the install started

I'm able to tell it to boot from the cdrom and that seems to work, and
the first few screens wizz by taking all the defaults. Then it checks
hardware, the CD, some more hardware etc. and finally presents a
screen that tells me I have multiple Ethernet ports, and which one
should it use. Now I thought this was going to be a CD install, but
imagine my surprise when I couldn't even move down the list of
choices, and there were no active buttons, although the "go back"
button was partially constructed.

I seems to hang there reliably, although the number of "timer bars"
clocking various activities changes from attempt to attempt.

The Ethernet built in to the original system failed long ago (which is
why I put the machine in mothballs) but recently I came across a
fellow who had a 4 port Ethernet cart to sell at reasonable price, so
I bought it. I suspect that something about having the card installed
is crashing the installation script, but don't really have a clue. It
does seem to be able to see the CD ok as one of the timer bars is
titled "Scanning ... " with various archive pool path names from the
CD.

When I remove the card, the dialog about choosing between ethernet
ports no longer appears, and several other things occur before the
message: Network autoconfiguration failed, with a description about
how the DHCP server may be slow or the hardware not working...  Again
the install is completely hung with an incomplete rendering of the
dialog box.

I'm not hooked up on any of these ports, and my expectation was that I
was doing a CD installation, so why is it looking at these ports at
all, but more important why does this hang the installation script (at
two different locations in the logic path)?

Anyone else have similar issues, or know what I should do about this one?

Luck,

Dwarf

P.S. Please CC me as I am not subscribed to this list.