Re: sun blade 100 hard disk

It's a 40GB drive.

Take your model number, and do a google search.

WD400BB-23DEA0 plus, WDC has a habbit of putting the actually drive size in the model number.

Olivier BERT wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Admar Schoonen wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:36:49PM +0200, Olivier BERT wrote:

I'm sorry to post many messages but I have have another problem.
It concerns IDE devices. My Debian is installed now but when copy large
files for example or when I make several disk operations at the same time, errors appears in my file system. For example, some null characters appear
in some files.
I am about to think that it is a DMA problem. But my knowledge concerning
hardware is a bit limited.

- Is it an hardware problem ?
- may be a problem of connections between the disk and the IDE bus on the
moter board ?

- is it a software or hardware problem ?

I don't know. I never noticed any problems with my 20 GB and 120 GB drives (both seagate fwiw) in my blade 100; not with Solaris 8 neither with Linux 2.6.x (using ufs in Solaris and ext3 in Linux). I never did any tricks with hdparm to
set the DMA level or something.

Things that come to mind:
- do you use a proper cable? I'm not sure if it's an ATA66 or ATA100 controller in the blade 100, so I use an ATA100 cable to connect the 120 GB drive (20 GB still uses the default cable that came with the box). I'm not sure if ATA66 and ATA100 cables differ, but for at least ATA100 it is required that every signal wire has it's own ground wire iirc (thus, a 40 pin cable has actually
 80 wires).
- what filesystem do you use? I've read somewhere that there could be problems
 with Reiserfs on sparc, though I don't know any details.

Admar

There is also a strange thing. In my dmesg, as in hdparm, my hard disk is seen as a 40GB. But I am nearly sure that it is a 20GB (as detected in fdisk) and as it is written on the internet.
I attach the output of my hdparm -I.
What is the real size of my disk ?

--
Olivier BERT
e-mail: obert01@mistigri.org

/dev/hda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WDC WD400BB-23DEA0 Serial Number: WD-WMAD1E447435
	Firmware Revision:  05.03E05
Standards:
Supported: 5 4 3 2 Likely used: 6
Configuration:
	Logical		max	current
	cylinders	16383	16383
	heads		16	16
	sectors/track	63	63
	--
	CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
	LBA    user addressable sectors:   78165360
	device size with M = 1024*1024:       38166 MBytes
	device size with M = 1000*1000:       40020 MBytes (40 GB)
Capabilities:
	LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
	bytes avail on r/w long: 40	Queue depth: 1
	Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum
	R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16	Current = 16
	Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4 Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
	Enabled	Supported:
	   *	READ BUFFER cmd
	   *	WRITE BUFFER cmd
	   *	Host Protected Area feature set
	   *	Look-ahead
		Write cache
	   *	Power Management feature set
		Security Mode feature set
	   *	SMART feature set
* Device Configuration Overlay feature set Automatic Acoustic Management feature set SET MAX security extension
	   *	DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
* SMART self-test * SMART error logging Security: supported
	not	enabled
	not	locked
	not	frozen
	not	expired: security count