Re: Debian Sarge in a e450

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:28:19 +0100
Joerg Friedrich <Joerg.Dieter.Friedrich@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda schrieb am Mittwoch, 09. März 2005 um
> 16:37:30 +0100:
<snip>
> > Also, I would like to ask, and please think that I'm a newbie in
> > this architecture if it's posible to buy a normal pci card, for
> > example a SATA controller, and (looking first the correct pci
> > slot(about V) plug it in e450, and configure the driver if it's
> > supoorted by the kernel, and that's all.
>
> Even if the kernel would support this SATA controller, which I do not
> know, I doubt that you can convince OpenBootProm to boot from disks
> connected to this controller.
>
> I bought some SCA disks at ebay.

Yes, but if the SATA would work, he could always use a small SCA disk
for /boot and the SATA for everything else. SATA is cheaper for large
quantities of storage space than SCSI is. Unfortunately I don't know if
the SATA would work in the PCI slots either, but as long as they're
standard PCI it should.

HTH,
Jacob