Re: Booting debian sparc from CD-ROM

In article <[🔎] 200503021053.05272.luimarma@mconesa.com>
luimarma@mconesa.com writes:
>I have been trying for some time now to boot my U30 from cd-rom. I have been
>playing around with silo and genrom but allways what I get is an image about
>3 MB which I think that is too big to fit in the CD booting image. Also I am
>not quite sure if the booting process for sparc follows "El Torito" standard.
>I would appreciate if there would be someone, who could point me to a proper
>howto or allready made cd images to start playing with.

Read the silo documentation.  There is a small area on the start of the
disk that is used for the boot loader.  Silo uses that to get enough to
read the rest of itself.

Debian-installer is a complete example.

El torito is a floppy emulator, and sun never used floppies to boot.
It postdates sun using CDs to install.
--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html