Re: how to get in openboot ???

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 19:25 +0100, Marc Coevoet wrote:
> Ok I put a linux cdrom and try to
> boot cdrom
>
> it says:
>
> boot device;:/iommu/sbus/espdma@f, 400000/esp@f, 800000/sd@6,0:d
>
> can't open disk label
> can't open disk label package ..
>
> Can the boot see the cdrom ??
> is the cdrom faulty ???

This suggests that you have a SCSI CD drive set for ID=6.  What vintage
of system and drive are you using?

When I've had CD problems installing Debian on older Sparcs, they have
been because:

- drive was an external one and terminator was not present

- an old drive couldn't read the type of CD media reliably; CD-R is more
compatible with older drives than CD-RW

- drive was new enough, but the CD was bad or I burned it wrong; try
another CD (of another brand if necessary) and burn it at a slow rate

- drive was bad

-- SP