Re: how to get in openboot ???

On Sat, 2005-12-17 19:42:57 +0100, Hartwig Atrops <Hartwig.Atrops@t-online.de> wrote:
> On Saturday 17 December 2005 19:25, Marc Coevoet wrote:
> > Ok I put a linux cdrom and try to
> > boot cdrom
> >
> > it says:
> >
> > boot device;:/iommu/sbus/espdma@f, 400000/esp@f, 800000/sd@6,0:d
> >
> > can't open disk label
> > can't open disk label package ..
> >
> > Can the boot see the cdrom ??
> > is the cdrom faulty ???
>
> Might be useful if you provide some more information. Which type of Sun
> workstation? Where did you get the CDROM? Which debian version?
>
> As I can see by the boot device message you try to install on an old SBUS
> based sun. My old Sun (Toshiba) SCSI CD drives dont read RW media. You might
> need a RO CD. Might that be your problem?

Additionally, many old workstations expect CD-ROM drives to initially
work with 512 Bytes per sector (while most newer drives come up with
2048 Bytes per sector). Either use an older drive then (some more
expensive drives do have jumpers on their back to switch between 512
and 2048 bytes...), or use a dual-hosted SCSI bus and write a small
tool to eg. use Linux' SCSI-generic driver to set the drive to 512
Bytes once it powered up.

"6,0" seems to be the SCSI ID. Is this correct? Is the SCSI chain
properly terminated?

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O