Re: Partitioning problem on ultra-1 with Sarge

Hi Juan,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 05:31:08PM +0100, juan.budia@bbraun.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try Sarge on old ultra-1 using CDnetinstall. Boot is ok. HD 2.1 Gb
> correctly detected. I chose erase the whole disk and make one single
> partition. When appling this politic a progression bar appears (formating the new file system I sopose), and when comes back, it gives a size of
> 104.7Mb size, and that is all, not even more free space...¿? where is my 2.1 Gb !!!??? - If I try to erase the whole disk and start over again by re-creating the partition table, first it says 2.1 Gb free, but when
> trying to create the (single) partition, it goes again down to 104,7 Mb
> and the rest of space has just desapeared, not even as a free space for
> additional partitions -it just faded away- ! :-(
>
> Any hint?
> thank you very much!

Here is what fdisk says on my Ultra 5:

Disk /dev/hda (Sun disk label): 255 heads, 63 sectors, 3735 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

Device Flag       Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             0      3671  29487307+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda2  u       3671      3735    514080   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3             0      3735  30001387+   5  Whole disk

The trick is that you don't have a MS-DOS partition table as on normal
PCs but a sun disk label. This requires that you have one entry for the
whole disk with partition type 5. Then, if you really don't want some
space for swap, you have to add another partion wit type "83 Linux
native" for your data. IIRC, on some systems you can't start at 0
because this is reserved for the disk label. So it's safer to start at
1.

HTH,

Wolfi