Re: Experimental 2.6.13 packages are available for testing

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Sébastien Bernard wrote:

I learned in the hard way that vmlinuz kernel has a size limitation. If the kernel grow too big, the silo isn't able to boot it anymore.
Is this limitation applicable to the initrd.img and/or initramfs ?

To my understanding, the initramfs is linked to the kernel increasing it by the size of the initramfs (several megabytes). Won't the kernel be oversized with the initramfs making its usage irrelevant with the sparc64 architecture ?

Those are very good questions, and I have no clue what the answer is :-). That's why I asked people to test. If space is of concern, then yaird looks better, since it only puts required modules on initrd. Besides, I was told yesterday that klibc (which initramfs-tools depend on) currently fails to build on sparc. I'll try to see what I can do about it.

By the way, if you want to use yaird, don't forget to copy /usr/lib/yaird/conf/Debian-initrd.conf to the /usr/lib/yaird/conf/Templates.cfg.

The default file will generate unbootable initrd.

Thanks for the tip.

  Seb

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org