Re: Unlucky kernel upgrade on Ultra 5/10

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 08:12:34PM +0200, Emmanuel Ka wrote:
> Hello Martin
> You can reply on the list as I have subscribed .Actually is it possible
> to post to a debian mailing list without being a member of the list ? I
> think I tried in the past, but witouht success.

No clue.

> So indeed I was missing the correponding devices in /dev. As you wrote,
> the snddevices from the alsa base package script did the job of creating
> them not without sending me a freaky kernel warning of the like :
>
> ioctl32(alsamixergui:2060): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(40045500){00}
> arg(effff82c) on /dev/snd/controlC0
> ioctl32(amixer:2066): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(40045500){00} arg(effff814)
> on /dev/snd/controlC0

Seems to be an issue with the 32 bit compatability layer. Don't know
anything about this. Hopefully someone else knows. The failing ioctl
is SNDRV_HWDEP_IOCTL_PVERSION.
What is your kernel version and what alsa version? (cat /proc/asound/version).

> You mean this one : FYI: Fixes to ALSA DBRI driver ?
> Does it apply also to the CS4231 chipset ?

Could not see the patch from Christopher Zimmermann in the sparclinux archives.
Maybe because sparclinux only was on the cc. I've attached it below.
DBRI are not relevant to CS4231.

--
Martin