Re: Unlucky kernel upgrade on Ultra 5/10

Hello Martin
You can reply on the list as I have subscribed .Actually is it possible to post to a debian mailing list without being a member of the list ? I think I tried in the past, but witouht success.

So indeed I was missing the correponding devices in /dev. As you wrote, the snddevices from the alsa base package script did the job of creating them not without sending me a freaky kernel warning of the like :

ioctl32(alsamixergui:2060): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(40045500){00} arg(effff82c) on /dev/snd/controlC0 ioctl32(amixer:2066): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(40045500){00} arg(effff814) on /dev/snd/controlC0

Then I load the sound card module with the following result :
bombadil2:/home/manu# modprobe snd_sun_cs4231
Setting up ALSA...amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: Invalid argument
amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: Invalid argument
amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: Invalid argument
amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: Invalid argument
( but the module loads OK )

When I try to use alphamixergui now, I have also the same problem error snd_ctl_open failed that I used to have and the kernel sends me a warning in the logs ( the same as the former ioctl bla ) The sound is working with the alsa module although there must be a problem with frequency, because the tunes are played two times faster ( with debian package mpg123 ) . It's a bit funny the first time to hear the songs of my reggae/dub band as they become ska, but I'm not sure this treatment will benefit all kinds of music :-)
With a hand-compiled mplayer, I just get garbage on the soundcard ouput.

Emmanuel