Re: upgrading woody -> sarge on Sparc 2.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 07:58:44AM -0800, shark@gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:
> There is an old Sparc 2 here, happily running Woody with Apache
> and Postfix.
>
> Seems that a simple technique for upgrading to Sarge is to replace
> every occurance of "woody" with "sarge" in /etc/apt/sources.list
> and then update and install in dselect.  Is this likely to be
> successful?

After the update you have to do a 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

> Will a Woody package run in Sarge?  If so I can work in stages.
> Upgrade the US main first, then the US non-free, then US contribs
> and etc.

I think in general a woody package will run in sarge. It really depends
on the libraries being backward compatible though.
Would not recommend doing the upgrade in stages: it only guarantees
you have an untested combination until you've completed everything.

--
Martin
30 years from now GNU/Linux will be as redundant a term as UNIX/MERT is