Netra X1 strange lock up Debian 3.1, kernel 2.6.12.3

I'm getting a wierd partial-lockup under Debian 3.1 (sarge) on a Netra X1
with a 2.6.11.3 kernel compiled fresh from the sources.

The system will run fine for several weeks. Then it will refuse to run new
shells. Running daemons will continue to run but an attempt to start a new
shell will fail. I put some echos in /etc/profile to see where it stops.
The login stops responding when running the "id -u" command in /etc/profile.
When I remove that command it makes it to the end of /etc/profile but never
starts $HOME/.profile.

The other symptom is that the system clock jumps forward by 3 days, 6 hours,
11 minutes and 15 seconds. Every time. NTP is not running, nor is anything
else that should modify the date.

Examples from the /var/log/messages:

Jul 27 21:03:19 lily -- MARK --
Jul 27 21:04:19 lily -- MARK --
Jul 27 21:05:19 lily -- MARK --
Jul 31 03:17:34 lily -- MARK --
Jul 31 03:18:34 lily -- MARK --
Jul 31 03:19:34 lily -- MARK --

Sep  2 10:27:32 lily -- MARK --
Sep  2 10:28:32 lily -- MARK --
Sep  2 10:29:32 lily -- MARK --
Sep  5 16:41:47 lily -- MARK --
Sep  5 16:42:47 lily -- MARK --
Sep  5 16:43:47 lily -- MARK --

So, the hard drive is still writing. The Bind daemon (named) continues to run
and respond to queries. That and ssh are the only network services I have
running on the box. The kernel continues to output log messages from
iptables (with the wrong date) but outputs no other messages. Ssh will
connect, but it may or may not get past public key authentication. The
console will accept a login and make it past /etc/profile, but never
makes it to a prompt.

uname -a
Linux lily 2.6.12.3-lily #1 Mon Aug 1 18:40:53 EDT 2005 sparc64 GNU/Linux

cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : TI UltraSparc IIe (Hummingbird)
fpu             : UltraSparc IIe integrated FPU
promlib         : Version 3 Revision 0
prom            : 4.0.6
type            : sun4u
ncpus probed    : 1
ncpus active    : 1
Cpu0Bogo        : 794.62
Cpu0ClkTck      : 0000000017d78400
MMU Type        : Spitfire

free
Mem:        512496      49408     463088          0       8400      24976
-/+ buffers/cache:      16032     496464
Swap:            0          0          0

I had the same problem with a 2.6.11.7 kernel, also compiled fresh from the
source on kernel.org. I havn't tried the stock Sarge kernel; that's next on my
list.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions for what to try to
track down the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Herrin

--