Re: Ultra 5 disk performance [Was: More storage for my Ultra10]

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 02:24:57PM -0700, darin strait wrote:
> > The system was equipped with its original IDE disk and a newer 200GB
> > one (btw: all 200gigs are available with newer 2.6 kernels).
> I had gotten an email off-list from someone else who had put a large
> disk into his system and had it work. I had thought that the drive size
> limitation was a hardware problem (a lack of addressing bits), at least
> with x86 PC hardware. Am I wrong, or does it not matter somehow since
> this is Sun hardware?

I have a 160GB IDE disk working flawlessly on an Ultra10 (well... I
begin not to stand anymore the noise of the fans of this host).  :-)

hdb: Maxtor 6Y160P0, ATA DISK drive
hdb: 320173056 sectors (163929 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=19929/255/63, (U)DMA

> (fwiw, I would like to stick with 2.4 primarily because 2.6 has a bad
> bug involving the parallel printer port. I believe that this bug is
> still open.)

# uname -r
2.4.27-2-sparc64

> The old 9 GB IDE was giving me trouble last week (read errors), so I
> swapped a spare 120 GB I had from another project into the U10. I was
> getting around 12.5 mb/s with the old disk, now I get about 15 mb/s
> with the 120 GB disk (which is a bog-standard,n not-a-speed-demon
> disk). It's noticably quicker, but I'm still interesting in size rather
> than speed. I won't be able read or write files faster than 100 mbit
> ethernet speeds, regardless of what sort of disk(s) are in the server.

# hdparm -tT /dev/hdb
/dev/hdb:
 Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   640 MB in  2.00 seconds = 320.00 MB/sec
 Timing O_DIRECT disk reads:   46 MB in  3.02 seconds =  15.23 MB/sec

Best regards,
Frederic Lehobey