Re: future libc6-sparcv9 and libc6-sparcv9b support

From: GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:51:45 +0900

> Well, we sometimes meet words "optimization makes faster", but we
> merely see the actual result of performance gain.
> How much is the improvement of such optimized packages?  Is sparcv9b
> valuable compared with sparcv9?

Yes, because the optimized memcpy/memset in the sparcv9 package
is severely suboptimal for UltraSPARC-III and later chips, which
is what the sparcv9b package is needed for.

>  From your suggestion, normal libc6 package (that's also usable for
> pre sparcv9 archs) does not have any NPTL support, but libc6-sparcv9
> (and v9b) can have NPTL support.  IIRC, you have worked for 64bit NPTL
> support on sparc, so I expect libc6-sparc64 will be able to support
> NPTL without hassle.

Right.

> BTW, if we move to glibc 2.4 series in future, at that time we may
> need to drop LT support.  It means the traditional pre sparcv9 system
> will be also dropped.  Is that acceptable direction for sparc users?
> (Note that dropping LT is not decided and I think we shouldn't do so
> currently).

Right, it will be necessary.  To be honest, pure traditional sparc 32-bit
support is a real roadblock to progress in any of these areas.