Printing on Ultra1. The never ending story.

Hi netters,

I want to use my Ultra1 (sarge, kernel 2.4.27-2) as a print server.  As
the parallel port of the Ultra1 is not working for Debian Linux, its
serial port was my last resort. After configuring the serial interfaces
of the printer  (HP-LaserJet4P), setting up the serial interface of the
Ultra1 and adjusting the PPD-file for the printer, I am now able to get
printouts with

foomatic-rip -v --ppd
/etc/foomatic/direct/mein_HP-LaserJet_Plus-ljetplus.ppd -o testprn
.bashrc

Next, I want to use CUPS as spooler for my tasks. But when I tried to
add my printer to the spooling system, I noticed, that there is no
serial device in my debian-cups-distribution.

 ultra1;# lpinfo -v
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct canon:/dev/lp0
direct epson:/dev/lp0
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
                .
                .
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15

Does this mean, that I can not use CUPS for my intended purpose? Or is
there a workaround for this problem?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Friedhelm