Re: Problems with an Ultra 5

Is there a document which explains what different LED patterns may be? They flash a couple times after start up, like any PC does.. but I didn't notice any "flashing" afterwards. I'm getting a null modem cable today to try a serial connection also. No beeps like a PC gives off when you have no ram, or cpu, etc. I had not tried any key combo's yet, I had come across something mentioning STOP + A .. I will give that a try tonight, and will also try a different monitor possibly. I wouldn't think it would be the monitor if its during POST, and at OBP.. etc.. but maybe its going by this section so fast, it doesn't get a chance to show me whats on the screen. If you can point me to any documentation on key combinations and beeps, and LED patterns, that would be great.

Tyler.

Dr. Zimmermann wrote:
Tyler wrote:

I'm trying to set up an Ultra 5 that I purchased last year, but am having problems getting anything out of it. I've hooked it up to power, network, video and sun type 6 keyboard/mouse (not usb). I've then turned it on, a few seconds goes by with the monitor not doing anything, then, the monitor gets a signal, and comes out of power save mode, but this only lasts 5 or 10 seconds, before it goes back to power save mode (no signal) (and never gets a signal again), so this isn't long enough to see anything on the screen because the screen isn't on long enough (doesn't warm up) to actually see the image.

What about the status of the keyboard LED's ? The status of the Openprom (Bios-like subystem) is coded by the keyboard LED's. There should be a manual explaining that at docs.sun.com. Did You try keyboard interaction, e.g. Stop-A etc. ? Any beeps from the system ?

Roger