Re: tg3 driver fails

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, David S. Miller wrote:

I would like to personally thank the Debian project for making life
miserable for it's users and making many platforms totally
uninstallable and unusable due to this decision.

I am sure every user who can't use Debian on his system out of the box
because of this firmware problem will not mind because the high moral
standards of the Debian project are much more important than a properly
working system.

Hi Dave,

This decision is indeed unpopular with a lot of people, users and developers alike. I am not too happy with the way things turned out myself. However, I completely disagree with the statement that this situation is a result of some kind of Debian's tantrum, as you present it.

In almost all cases the removal of firmware has nothing to do with Debian's "moral standards". In fact, the Debian kernel currently contains a number of firmware files, possibly violating the DFSG. Main reasons why the files are removed are the lack of _any_ license, licenses explicitly forbidding (!) the redistribution, or licenses whose conditions cannot be satisfied (like binary-only firmware licensed as GPL). And redistributing the intellectual property without an explicit permission is a liability Debian can't subject itself or its users to. Perhaps, if the kernel maintainers were a little bit more proactive examining the licenses, this whole mess could have been avoided.

In fact, Debian is actively working on resolving this situation. Members of the Debian kernel team have actually made an effort of contacting Broadcom [0] (and other vendors) and clarifying the terms of their licenses. After the response from Broadcom's legal team the updated license, now explicitly permitting the redistribution of tg3 firmware, has been merged upstream [1] and Debian is going to distribute the uncrippled driver again starting with 2.6.12. The status of other communication with vendors may be found at [2].

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/05/msg00203.html
[1] http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=49cabf49abd7676d026a61baabf5aae9337a82be;hp=9beb1d587f690d5b2f9087f8f10c0ff9f6b66886
[2] http://wiki.debian.net/?KernelFirmwareLicensing

Best regards,