Re: sunpci under linux ??

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 02:07:10PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 22:53:32 +0200, Admar Schoonen <admar@luon.net> wrote:
>
> > Currently, the cards only work in Solaris (afaict). However, Solaris
> > will be open sourced within a few months, so perhaps some specs of the
> > card will become available. Now if only I had a little more spare time
> > and was a lot more competent in programming...
>
> I will not accept any code into the Linux kernel that was written based
> upon the studying of the Solaris open source tree.  The legal ramifications
> of doing this are unclear, at best.

Fair enough. I indeed didn't think of the legal issues yet.

According to http://www.opensolaris.org/license/index.html, the license for
most of the OpenSolaris code will be CCDL (said to be a derivation of MPL, but I
haven't studied it yet). I guess that means that one can't just take a piece of
CCDL licensed code and "plug" it into a GPL program. However, I don't know if
it's allowed to study CCDL licensed code and then write some similar code with
a non CCDL license.

Admar