small dns daemon / forwarder ?

Hello everyone:

I have a number of machines behind a NAT firewall. Because I don't like to manage hosts files on all of the machines, I usually set up bind on my Ultra-1 running debian. BIND has a zone file for my domain, and reverse DNS info for each of my internal IP's, so it provides 'internal' DNS on my network as well as caching and forwarding DNS requests outside my domain.

The problem is that BIND is a beast, and using it in this manner is like trying to swat a fly with an ICBM. It's using a lot of CPU, and it's a pain in the butt to configure. On top of that, and what's really prompted my to investigate BIND alternatives, is that named just goes absolutely nuts when it can't find a root server, and that happens from time to time from my DSL line. When it can't talk to a root server, named goes all cornolio and logs that fact like crazy, soaks the CPU on the machine and fills up /var in like 20 minutes flat. (this in spite of having category lame-servers { null; }; in named.conf)

So, there has to be something better out there to use for 'internal' DNS. All this thing needs to do is resolve hostnames on my domain to internal addresses (www.hicox.com = 192.168.blah.blah), and provide reverse lookup for internal ip addresses (192.168.blah.blah = laptop.hicox.com, etc.), and forward DNS requests to my ISP's DNS server for things not on my domain (yahoo.com ... get ip from ISP's DNS, relay it back to requester).

dnsmasq looked promising, but it was tied fairly tightly with dhcpd, which is not something I'm looking to run, configuration looked far from intuitive as well.

I can't imagine I'm the first guy in the history of the world to have run across this problem. Does anyone know of a good lightweight dns daemon that can do what I'm looking for?

thanks,

-Andrew

## Andrew N. Hicox
## Hicox Information Systems Development
## [voice]: 703-367-9085
## [email]: andrew@hicox.com
## [web]: http://hicox.com
##