Re: disk size mismatch issue during install on ultra1

One trick to consider. If it's not a boot disk, use an MSDOS / PC
label. The kernel can still read it and it's a lot less flaky than the
Sun scheme. One issue I have had with large disks and Sun labels (but
this only occurred on a 40G volume) is that the disk did not work right
with a Sun label, and I had to use PC instead to get it to work at all.

Can another helpful D-I or Sun internals person talk a little about
disk labels? They seem to be a little odd and I do not understand why
they cause such problems.

Another thing to try: zorch the hell out of the disk label with dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc bs=1M

Then redo it with parted's CHS numbers: 8637,64,32. I have noticed
parted and SPARC fdisk tend to take the label as gospel truth even when
it's stuffed full of inaccurate crap. I bet if you erase the label and
recreate it, this problem should stop happening. That was another trick
I needed to use to get going at one point.

Another thing, get the proper CHS numbers from the disk maker and type
those in to the label creation command in parted. This should help you
with your geometry problem.

HTH!