Re: disk size mismatch issue during install on ultra1

foo_bar_baz_boo-deb@yahoo.com (foo_bar_baz_boo-deb@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I had an issue similar to this one when installing on an Ultra 2 with a
> similar setup.
>
> I found I could get around the problem by selecting the execute a shell
> option in the debian installer, then running parted on the disk
> manually.
>
> One thing I cannot remember that you will need to find out in order to
> do this is the proper device name for your disks. The name convention
> used by the installer kernel is really bizarre and I do not understand
> how it works.
>
> Hopefully the D-I people on this list will be able to explain what
> device names your disks might be using, or you can reverse engineer it
> from the install screens.
>
> --- Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got an interesting issue with installing sarge on an ultra1: At
> > the
> > beginning of the partitioning the 9GB HD's are detected correctly as
> > having
> > 9GB.  However, when configuring the 1st partition as 4GB, the
> > partition size
> > is reported as 2GB in the partition info screen.  When I continue
> > there's
> > only some 27MB left.  When using guided partitioning I get similar
> > results
> > (1.9GB + 99MB) and the partitioning even fails with an error message
> > stating
> > that there are too many primary partitions.
> >
> > I'm using the netboot from April 24 and both 2.4 and 2.6 fail.  Older
> > netboots
> > (e.g. rc3) also fail here.  The ultra1 has OBP v3.35 and probe-scsi
> > detects
> > the HD's correctly.  It has 256MB memory.
> >
> > Any thoughts/hints/help how to get across this hurdle?  I looked
> > through the
> > bug reports for d-i but didn't find anything about this issue.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm a step closer.  When running parted by hand I get

    /bin # parted /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc print
    Warning: The disk CHS geometry (8637,64,32) does not match the geometry stored
    on the disk label (1107,27,133).
    Ignore/Cancel? c
    Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.

Unfortunately running

    parted /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc mklabel sun

does NOT resolve this.  The geometry mismatch persits.

I'll run fdisk on this disk in another machine and see what gives.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij                                     Debian XML/SGML Group
<ardo@debian.org>              <debian-xml-sgml-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>