Re: Open kernel-image-2.6.8 bugs on sparc - help needed

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:16:34 -0400 (EDT)
Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> wrote:

> * #275037: writing to a parallel port causes kernel oops.
>    I was able to reproduce it, however it only happens if parport_pc module
>    is loaded. It appears that there are two modules - parport and
>    parport_pc. parport_pc seems to be appropriate for the "PC-style"
>    parallel port chips and I have no idea whether it should work for
>    sparc as well. With just parport module loaded oops is not happening.
>    Please comment if you have a setup with working printing via parallel
>    port.

parport_pc is the driver that should be used for the on-board
parallel port devices on PCI UltraSPARC systems.  This driver
should work in 2.4.x, and either way the OOPS is unacceptable.

>    As a first step I tried making sound work :-) (it appears to work fine
>    for the submitter). With a 2.6.8-2 kernel on Ultra5 with cs4231 card I
>    get the sound using snd-sun-cs4231 module, but it is choppy and
>    corrupted (tried using 'play' from sox package to play wavs and mpg321
>    to play mp3s). Ironically, alsaplayer fails miserably. I have also tried
>    using the latest ALSA development release (1.0.9rc2) from [0], with
>    identical results. Hence the question, how does one get working sound,
>    if it is possible at all? Comments on the original bug are welcome too,
>    there is a seemingly relevant thread on debian-user [1], but no solution
>    has been posted there.

The DMA handling in this driver needs some serious fixing.  I wasted
a week or so converting the old 2.4.x driver into an ALSA driver and
that was enough for me :-)

> * #305691: cg6 framebuffer seems to be screwed with 2.6.8 kernel. On
>    Ultra1 with cg6 the colors are wrong on console (yellow instead of
>    white in debconf screens for example). Starting X just brings up
>    a blank screen and hangs, no visible errors in the log. I remember
>    that some fixes for cg6 were mentioned on sparclinux mailing list a
>    while ago, but they seems to be relevant for sparc32. Is anyone
>    successfully running X with 2.6.8 and cg6? A working XF86Config-4
>    file for that setup would be greatly appreciated. With 2.6.10 it just
>    blanks the screen immediately after boot even though booting proceeds
>    normally.

Yes, all the necessary kernel level fixes should be in the current 2.6.x
kernel sources, just diff your 2.6.8 drivers/video/cg6.c with the current
driver.  The color maps weren't setup correctly and all sorts of other
problems.