Re: Cannot get a login-prompt (Sun Ultra 1)

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 18:35, Mike Edwards wrote:
> Unless I'm mistaken, an Ultra 1 will redirect it's console to the serial
> port if there is no keyboard connected at boot time.
Thus Linux decides that ttyX aren't valid devices, so when init tries to
start mingetty using them it fails - hence the messages in your log.

> It should be possible to fix this without a reboot if you connect to
> the serial port via a null modem cable (9600 baud, iirc), send a BREAK,
> and change where the console is directed (I don't remember off the top
> of my head which option this is - look through PROM).
I'm not sure that will work as the problem is with the kernel as I
understand it.  By redirecting like this you should be able to get
OpenBoot playing on the monitor but not init.

> Otherwise, just reboot with the keyboard plugged in.
Or edit /etc/inittab and telinit I think...

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin

--