debian-installer and kernel status (pre- and post-sarge) on sparc

Hello,

It appears, that debian-installer (d-i) team and the release team pretty much made up their minds that there will be no other significant kernel updates for d-i before sarge. That means that RC3 is going to become the final d-i release for sarge. Most serious implication for sparc is that we will not be able to fix the 2.4.27 kernel shipped on RC3 CD images, which does not seem to work on Blades 100/150 (due to the problems with ALI IDE controller) and 1500 (unknown clock chip). A fixed kernel for the latter problem (kernel-image-2.4.27-2-sparc64 with version 2.4.27-9) with David Miller's patches applied has been uploaded yesterday and is now available in unstable. Under the normal circumstances it would get picked up by the sid_d-i daily builds, however gluck.d.o (which was building the dailies) has died yesterday :-/, so it will take another few days for a CD image with the kernel working on Blade 1500 to be produced (sorry, Dave!).

The ALI IDE problem cannot be solved that easily. I was able to find a workaround by changing the kernel config (thanks to Clint Adams and Matthias Mertz for testing it), but these changes are ABI-breaking, and thus it is very unlikely that 2.4.27 kernels containing these fixes will ever make it into the archive. IMHO, the best way to deal with it is to build unofficial netinst CD image, which will (hopefully) work on Blade 100/150. Unfortunately, I do not have the infrastracture in place to build this image myself (it requires a local archive mirror), but either Frans Pop (of d-i team) or Andres Salomon (of debian-kernel team) should be able to do that. If anyone wants to give it a shot, all the components (initrd, kernel-image debs and various udebs) for this image are available at [0].

It looks like we might have another shot at updating the 2.6.8 kernel for d-i, since the release team would like to see bug #288180 fixed in d-i kernels. I currently do not have any patches pending for that kernel, except the possible fix for sunsab serial driver, discussed in the "Weird Mouse Behaviour with 2.6" thread (it would be nice if people would confirm that it does the Right Thing). If you think that some important fix is forgotten, please let me know.

Briefly on the post-sarge plans. Common consensus between debian-kernel and release team members appears to be that there is not too much sense in supporting the 2.4.x series of kernels after sarge is released (security updates for the 2.4 kernel which ships with sarge will, of course, be provided). Currently I don't see any reason which would force us to keep the 2.4.x post-sarge (except, possibly, the fact that 2.6 netboot images fail to boot on sparc32 currently). If you see a reason of why we would want 2.4 kernels after sarge, feel free to share it.

[0] http://www.wooyd.org/debian/d-i/

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org