Re: Help with hardware choices

In article <[🔎] 643bacd1050330074572ccab97@mail.gmail.com> you write:
>I have been tasked with picking the hardware, and my feeling is that
>SPARC offers the best bang for the buck. I have been pointed at two
>different lines of machines by a Systems Engineer for Sun here in
>Tallahassee, but I was hoping that you guys would have a better idea
>of what I can expect from these machines.
>
>Obviously it must run the Debian SPARC port, and while the Sun webpage
>lists Linux as a supported OS, they reference things like Red Hat
>Enterprise, which doesn't make it clear whether Debian is supported.
>(I mean to have a talk with them about that as well ;-)

Sun makes good reliable, but not cheap, hardware.  However, I would
not recomend getting a new Sparc system to run Debian.  Sparc is one
of the architectures that may not make it into etch (the release after
the upcoming sarge) and is generally not as well supported as x86
machines.  Debian sparc developers tend not to have the latest
hardware, so there may have been no testing on your configuration.

For the stated application, I'd look at server class Opteron (AMD64)
or Xeon systems.  You need to trade off absolute specs for
reliability, and don't forget to look at having a backup system as way
of gaining that reliablility.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html