Re: Debian Sparc Buildd

Jurij Smakov schrieb:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Blars Blarson wrote:

As far as I understand, the main problems with sparc are not
availability of hardware.

There have been kernel porting issues, and I beleive additional help
could be used there.

Debian-installer could use more testing, especially on newer systems.
USB keyboards and other hardware not in 5-year old workstations are
areas that most need testing.

sun4c/sun4d are not being supported in sarge, (at least for new
installs) and it looks like sun4m (the last sparc32) will not be in
etch even if sparc is a release architecture.

While I would not mind having a faster machine available for building testing/debugging kernels, I agree with Blars that the lack of hardware may hardly be considered a bottleneck. Comments about other points:

* Kernel situation seems to be more or less ok at the moment. Sparc kernel images are built from the common kernel-source, and all the patches we produce get promptly accepted upstream in most cases (thanks to Dave Miller and William Lee Irwin III for doing a good job!). It would be nice if people would be more active in testing new kernel - see the wiki page at [0] on how to help.

I just secured myself a Blade 100. Should get it some time around next week.

Has anybody on top of his head a source for RAM Modules (cheep and acessable from Germany) for that Baby?

greets Uwe
Jetzt will man das Internet nicht einfach ein paar Leuten wie der IETF
überlassen, die wissen, was sie tun. Es ist zu wichtig geworden. - Scott Bradner