Re: Sparc32 cramfs error

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 numa@thenuma.com wrote:

Used the 022005 build, installed debian successfully, everything looks
good, go to boot up for first time and I get a cramfs: wrong magic error
which becomes a kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:04.
Where should I begin?

Thanks, Kris

Hi Kris,

This is a known problem with 2.4.27-1 kernel images which are currently in testing. Even though the installer dailies already contain fixed 2.4.27-2 kernel, it installs testing by default and the broken kernel images get pulled in. You have two options: either lower the debconf priority using the installer's main menu and choose to install unstable instead of testing when prompted; or replace kernel by a fixed version manually in the end of the installation (before the reboot). If you are not sure how to do either of those things, let me know and I'll provide detailed instructions.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org