Trying to install on SS5: results

I tested RC2 and daily images on my Sun Sparcstaion 5, 170 MHz, 256M RAM, cg6 and cg3 graphics cards and type 5 keyboard.

Short summary: both RC2 and daily 2.4 images have problems with keyboard. Both RC2 and daily 2.6 have some problems with cg6 and cg3 doesn't work at all. RC2 2.6 install hangs during installation, daily 2.6 install works.

-------------

RC2 netboot from
http://ftp.ee.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/current/images/sparc32/netboot/boot.img

Keyboard is messed up, 1234... acts as asdf... and all other keys are mixed too. Both cg3 and cg6 work.

------------

RC2 2.6 netboot from
http://ftp.ee.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/current/images/sparc32/netboot/2.6/boot.img

cg3 does not work, cg6 does sort of work (see below). Keyboard is OK.

Installation hangs during installing the Debian base system, Validating logrotate. It pings and I can open a shell on VT2, ps auxwww shows some processes and then hangs too, last 2 processes are debootstrap and /bin/sh -e debootstrap.

-----------------

daily netboot images from 27. jan:

http://people.debian.org/~joshk/d-i/images/daily/sparc32/netboot/boot.img

Keyboard is messed up, 1234... acts as asdf... and all other keys are mixed too. Both cg3 and cg6 work.

http://people.debian.org/~joshk/d-i/images/daily/sparc32/netboot/2.6/boot.img

Keyboard OK, starts OK from cgsix (TGX) but not from cgthree - 2.6 kernel fbdev bug, fix has been around and probably is integrated in current 2.6 tree. Should be easy to backport.

CG6 had another strange problem - blue color disappeared mostly. Only top 5 cm on the screen had some blue, it turned black gradually. All other colors were OK. Tried different monitors, still the same. Rebooted with 2.4 kernel, colors are OK. Example picture is http://www.cs.ut.ee/~mroos/screen.jpg (this picture has 2 bands of blue, usually only the upper one is present).

Installation went OK.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@linux.ee)