Re: Installation Failing Sun V100

Martin wrote:
<snip>

For what it's worth I've been using Debian Stable (3.0 Woody) for a
while now (? a couple of year ?  well I started with 2.2 and migrated
when 3.0 came out) on Sun machines, including those in production
environments and found it rock solid.  It seems to be more stable than
the same software on x86 but I suspect this is due to better quality
hardware rather than anything about the software architecture.

Cheers,
 - Martin

Its probably the filtering of available packages that sorts the wheat from the chaff. The code that is more portable is the better code.

For the same amount of compute power UltraSPARC draws a lot less electrical power. This results in less electrical and thermal stress.
(The same could be said for PowerPC on which IBM support GNU/Linux via
OpenPower.)

What is missing though is those juicy viruses.  Really what I miss is
gfortran-3.5 and gfortran-4.0.  I have gfortran-3.5 on my iBook 2.2.
Sun in not helping maintainers with equipment have done themselves a
disservice.  IBM now have Linux across their entire spectrum on each
architecture.  I only have g77-3.4 on my SB100.

I could not install this SB100 by just pressing 'Enter'.  I had to read
up on SILO, power cycle the machine and issue an appropriate command in
SILO to run the right image.  After running Solaris I get a VM exception
even after a firmware boot -r.  To help maintainers I could post a
detailed bug either on SILO or kernel-image I was trying to boot on
Solaris, but I am not sure and it would help more if Sun would help
maintainers with reasonably current equipment.  As I just run GNU/Linux
the VM exception is no longer a problem and the machine boots reliably.