Re: Various unstable brokenness - X keyboard

There are some weird problems with using the VT change keys in X for
some reason. A few issues to consider:

1) 2.4.x kernel vs. 2.6.x kernel: The 2.6.x kernel does "input layer
conversion," wherein the SPARC proprietary scan codes and mouse
protocols are converted to i386 PC, and IMPS/2 on /dev/input/mice (not
sunmouse), respectively.

2) If you look at http://bugs.debian.org/236086/ you will see I wrote a
patch for the Sun keyboard symbol file used by 2.4.x kernels. The 2.6.x
kernels use the i386 symbol file, and therefore should work properly.

3) If the 236086 fix is what has broken the xkb symbols as everybody
suspects, then one of you users with the problem needs to reopen the
bug, and explain what kind of hardware, kernel, and keyboard
configuration you have on your system.

4) Try upgrading to 2.6.x if it will work on your system. I have had
problems with SMP on an Ultra Enterprise 2, but other than that I do
not know of any major reason not to do this or obstacles. I would
appreciate it if other people could enumerate possible obstacles of
which I am unaware.

That is all that comes to mind for this problem right now. Please
examine these ideas, think about it, and please let me know what you
decide about the points I have raised.