Re: X11 crashing on 2.4.28

At Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:00:46 -0500,
Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> >    Only difference was that I didn't turn it on for all Linux, just
> > for ia86 and sparc. Wasn't sure whether it was a good idea or not.
> >
> >    I'll let everyone know how it went. Thanks for finding it.
>
> I haven't seen followup from you on how it went, but I went ahead and
> applied your patch anyway.

   I replied to the list with the results I had, which were that I
_thought_ it was fixed, but X still wouldn't start for me. I haven't
seen any replies from anyone else.

   I now have X working using the framebuffer driver, so it seems that
these patches do indeed fix the problem (I couldn't even do that before).

> Sorry about the red herring I threw out regarding PCI domain issues -- I
> didn't mean to lead anyone astray I was just stabbing in the dark.

   Understood. It actually led me to realize the probable cause of the
remaining X problem I have with this machine, in that fbdev works but
the glint driver doesn't load. I've submitted a separate bug report on
that one (#284111), since it's clearly not related to the mmap
problem.

Thanks,

 .....Ron

--