Re: Debian Sparc 3.0r2 on Ultra60

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:18:48 +0200, Dieter Jurzitza wrote:

> Dear Listmembers,
> dear Joshua,
> ok, this is something very reasonable. Two further inputs on this.
> 1.) is there any email-address at sun one could write to and ask for a freeing
> of this piece of firmware? I do not really think sun is making big money from
> it. And basically everybody can download it from the internet (so did I).

I don't know, Ben, do you?

> 2.) given this, why does the sarge X11 crashes if the binary for sunffb from
> sarge is used without the firmware being downloaded, however, both the old
> SuSE and the old binaries from debian woody run terribly slow but stable?
> This can easily be tested for. Fixing this would leave people with a running
> though slow X11.

It's because acceleration is disabled. You can probably do the same in
XF86Config-4, but I don't know the syntax (I don't own a machine with this
card.)

> Should I put another bug on the bug-list?

Possibly (against xserver-xfree86.) It stands to reason that X should
revert to non-accelerated mode when afbinit hasn't been run, instead of
crashing. But that's up to Branden.

--
Joshua Kwan