RE: Debian Sparc 3.0r2 on Ultra60

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:36:57 +0200, Jurzitza, Dieter wrote:
> seing this pop up every other time: is there a real good reason (apart
> from saving some kilobytes of harddisk-space) to not include afbinit in
> the sparc-distribution and to not automatically install it?

The good reason is that it's already in the archive.

$ madison afbinit
   afbinit |      1.0-1 |        stable | source, sparc
   afbinit |      1.0-1 |       testing | source, sparc
   afbinit |      1.0-1 |      unstable | source, sparc

However it's in contrib because non-free microcode needs to be downloaded
to make it work.

> Every newbee will fall over this (happened to me, too ...). I know in
> the meantime that there is a hint in the bugtrack, but to find it you
> have to know what you are looking for ...

It's a tough situation because of the licensing problem. I'm not sure of a
good place where a little README should go.

--
Joshua Kwan