RE: Question on extended LBA (48Bit) adressing of HDD

Dear Daniel,
dear all,
FYI: I upgraded the bios of my Promise TX2 - 133 without success (what was in accordance with my expectations. I had had build 14, now it's build 15). Some more fiddling around led to the following results:

pio - modes and udma - modes up to udma mode 2 work on my U60 SMP. When switching to higher speed udma modes the problems start to occur:

Sep 13 10:56:17 localhost kernel: hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Sep 13 10:56:17 localhost kernel: hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Sep 13 10:56:17 localhost kernel: hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Sep 13 10:56:17 localhost kernel: hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Sep 13 10:56:17 localhost kernel: PDC202XX: Primary channel reset.
Sep 13 10:56:17 localhost kernel: ide2: reset: success

the error=0x84 might also be error=0x04. I use a short 80 pin cable. The same errors occur for different drives and different cables.

If those errors occur, the system starts messing data on the disk, failures are the result.

Maybe there is a FM that says "you should not use udma modes faster than udma2 on Ultra Sparc", but I did not find until now. I do not mind, this works for me now. However, I simply want to point out that there (might ...) be something wrong.

For everybody else: boot with ide=nodma and turn it back on afterwards using hdparm seems a good solution for now. I have a boot.local file in /etc/init.d saying:

/sbin/hdparm -d1 -X udma2 /dev/hde

for now. Not to forget: I use 2.4.26 on Debian Sarge, U60 SMP @ 360 MHz.

Take care

Dieter Jurzitza