Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 2.6.x Kernel Issues

I have tried every 2.6 kernel from 2.6.0 up to 2.6.8.1. The kernels
start to compile fully at 2.6.6. The others suffer from build errors,
many of which seemed to be mentioned in kernel.org's change logs.

I am using the SMP kernel because my Ultra has two processors.

2.6.6 and 2.6.7 work, except for my Type 5 keyboard. I included type 5
and input core support, and the serial chip and keyboard/mouse get
detected properly. The system remains accessible over SSH.

2.6.8.1 freezes on boot, apparently because it does not like my Creator
1 UPA card. Sometimes it boots and resets the machine, and sometimes it
freezes in SILO. This is as far as I can go.

Can somebody tell me what I need to do to get help with this, or
provide me a working configuration, or otherwise advise me, or ask
useful questions / provide more data? I am stumped.

I would sincerely appreciate being able to use 2.6.x's sophisticated
software routing and packet matching. I would also appreciate not being
vulnerable to exploits contained in older kernels.

Thanks in advance.