Re: [solution]Re: all is read-only

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 13:45, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> Hi everybody ! :-)
>
> These are some (i hope usefull) indications:
>
> -The checkroot.sh script was not the same as the one archived by google
> so that I had to guess how to edit it . I just edited the two lines to have
>
> [...]
>   if ! mount -n -o remount,ro /
> [...]
> (I'm so sorry, I didnot remember how was the line before I edit it...)
>
> and
> [...]
> #       Remount root to final mode (rw or ro).
> mount -n -o remount,$rootopts,$rootmode /
> [...]
>
> - I also modified silo.conf : the read-only option -> read-write.
>
> Now the system boots correctly with the woody 2.4.18 kernel.
> Thanks to all and see you soon :-)

Glad it works.

You have to watch out for this repair being undone by future package
upgrades.

When I had this problem under a Sarge installation it recurred two or
three times after package upgrades.

According to Dave Miller, the underlying bug is not in checkroot.sh, it
is in the kernel.  Later kernels from Debian, such as 2.4.26 which I run
on an Ultra 10, seem to be patched.

-- SP