Re: [HELP] [PORT] sparc vs sparc5 vs ultrasparc?

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 01:54:10AM -0500, James A. Morrison wrote:

 > "Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@debian.org> writes:
 > >  ultrasparc:
 > >
 > > CC = gcc
 > > CXX = g++
 > > CFLAGS = -mv8 -mtune=ultrasparc ... # the rest is the same as sparc
 >
 >  These should be fine for Sarge on SPARC.  v8 is the default
 >  instruction set for Sarge and tuning for ultrasparc isn't such a bad
 >  thing.

 Thanks.  What does "default instruction set" mean?  I *am* providing a
 library compiled with only -O2.  What I'm looking for here is to
 provide an optimized library *too*.  From my understanding this can
 make a significant difference on Sparc.  Should I use -mv9 for that?

 Marcelo