Re: ALSA Driver for Sparc DBRI chips

Am Sonntag, 21. November 2004 12:34 schrieb Martin Habets:
> I have been working on an ALSA driver for the DBRI/CS4215 chip
> combo found in Sparc machines. It is a port of the 2.5 OSS driver.
> Things are starting to work, but since this is my first major
> undertaking I'm looking for your comments. Ask early, ask often...
> At this point I expect playback to work to all possible outputs (there
> is some clipping on 16 bit formats). I have not been able to get recording
> output in a file, though it does seem to catch data.
> So I look for anything from coding style to design issues to spelling to
> 'it worked' to 'I get an error' to the-meaning-of-the-universe.
> Just keep the phasers on stun, please :)

I have some problems compiling alsa-drivers-1.0.7 on sparc32. I get errors
asm/asm_offsets.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

I have kernel-headers-2.4.27-1 installed (and kernel-image-2.4.27-1 is
What can I do about this? The asm_offsets.h file does only seem to exist in:
# find .. -name asm_offsets.h

Is this a kernel-headers package problem?

> At: http://www.mph.eclipse.co.uk/pub/linux/dbri
> you'll find these files:
> - dbri.c  Source code of the driver
> - Alsa.patch  Patch against Alsa-driver 1.0.7rc1, without the driver
>    code itself (pick up dbri.c and put it in
>    alsa-kernel/sparc).

That patch is incomplete: alsa-driver/acinclude.m4 needs to be modified and
aclocal and autoconf must be run afterwards, so that the configure option
is usable. Just take AMD7930 as example and make a simple copy and modify.

> - Alsa-build.patch Patched to make Alsa build for sparc drivers. This
>    code is already in the current Alsa version, so you
>    may not need it.

Maybe you should remove that file. It does not work with alsa-source package
in Debian an upstream is at 1.0.7 to which that patch does not apply.

I'd really like to test this but first I have to fix the problem above. Maybe
someone can give me a hint...
I use the configure options
--with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes --with-cards=sun-amd7930,sun-dbri

        oder über pgp.net