Re: which xserver to use on Ultra2 ?

I had a similar problem with a U2 and a 3D Creator.  After much
Google'ing I was able to determine it was a problem with one of the
modules for XFree86 -- it didn't seem to like the 3D Creator cards.
Specifically it was the "DRI" module.  If you do a
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and de-select this module, it should
work for you.  An excerpt from my XF86Config-4 is below.

===============

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"