Re: CD malfunction on Sarge "testing" install <Sparc>

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 13:56, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> Greetings
>
> This may be a little off topic. I just tried to install Sarge "testing"
> for Sparc which I downloaded just last on an Ultra2. I was able to
> boot from the CD but afterwards it (strangely) could not find
> the CDROM drive which it booted from and therefore would not
> install. I didn't know who else to report this to so I posted it here.
> Could someone please let the appropriate individuals know.

This exact problem has been discussed recently in this list, and a
related repair to the Sarge installer is in progress.  The problem is
that the installer did not autodetect the Ultra 2's SCSI controller and
did not load its kernel module, so the SCSI CD-ROM drive (and also any
SCSI hard drives) are inaccessible.

Temporary workaround, at point when you have the "can't find CD-ROM
screen":

  ctrl-alt-f2 to get to a console

  modprobe esp
  modprobe sr_mod

  ctrl-alt-f1

  retry to find the CD-ROM drive

After this workaround, I was able to do a clean Sarge install on an
Ultra 2 SMP box.

-- SP