Re: Bunch of questions

thanks for the information, but I had thought this is what the debian sparc list was for.... Sorry if I was mislead somewhere. I think the debian user list sent me here. Will my windows boxes be able to read these other partition types? I have four hard drives. I wanted two to raid the OS on and two to act normally. I am taking it that my E250 probably doesn't have a hardware raid. I was just wanting to learn some basics as I am new to sparc and debian so thanks for the information and I will get to reading. If you have any suggestions, I am open to them also. Thanks again

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin" <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk>
To: "Huston" <shuston@ohiohills.com>
Cc: "Debian Sparc" <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 7:30 PM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Bunch of questions

I am in need of some help.  I have an E250 sun server.  What I want to
do......I want to run 2 hard drives in raid for my OS.  and 2 hard drives
normally with a fat32 partition for file storage.  I also want my fat32
drives to be viewable from other machines...I am totally new to Debian, and
I am having problems with these steps.  First: the raid...how do I set it
up?
Start by looking at this document:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

 Is there a good site to show step by step.
If the HOWTO isn't good enough, try googling.

 Second: the fat32....is it
possible to format these two other drives as fat32 with linux?
Yes, although I suspect this isn't what you want to do.  The way
software RAID works on Linux is that it will set up the two disks to
behave as if they were one.  You then create a filesystem on that one
'virtual disk'.

Unless you have an extreemly good reason I'd advise against using fat32
- it's been obsolete for years.  Consider ext3 or reiserfs3 instead.

 Third:
making it network viewable to my other machines...
There are many ways of doing this depending on what protocols these
machines talk.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/index.html
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
depending on exactly what you want to achieve, coda, intermezzo, davfs,
LUFS:ftpfs and sshfs might also be worth a look.

Is there certain packages I need to install?
Yes.  Which ones depend on what you are trying to do.

 I am searching for this information also.  Red hat was
pretty automatic and it would read my ntfs partitions on my network
machines.  I read that debian would not do this.
Depends on the version and how it's set up.  RH and Debian are both
built from (pretty much) the same software.

 I really would appreciate
all help.  Thanks very much in advance.
Given that none of this is specific to SPARC machines can I suggest you
post to a more appropriate mailing list - perhaps debian-user.  You will
get a better response.

HTH

Sweet Dreams,
- Martin