Sound on ultra-1

Hi all,

I've been using debian sarge on two ultra-1 machines here for some time, and in general it has behaved fine. It would be even better if I could get the audio working :) (one is plain ultra-1, other is creator-3D)

The cs4231 module is laoded, and the first time I try and play some sound, it appears to work OK. For example, I rebooted recently and was surprised when my amsn suddenly made a noise out of the speakers. However, if another app tries to access the sound, any subsequent attempts appear to fail. For example, I wondered after the success with amsn whether mpg321 would work: it briefly made some noise and then was quiet :( (as has happened before). After that, neither mpg321 or amsn would make any sound at all.

I've not seen anybody posting problems of this nature, mostly just requests for info and suggestions to modprobe cs4231. Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

Also, I upgraded sysvinit (and associated deps) to the sarge one when I had first installed debian on a sparc, and it failed to boot. I'm slightly wary of upgrading it now - does anyone else have a problem with it? (or any suggestions of how to recover if it does it again...I can't remember how I recovered it last time!)

Cheers,

--
Neil Pilgrim