Re: New procps, may break

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 02:46:40PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> Can you elaborate on the expected potential failure?
> You do have something specific your worried about, otherwise
> you wouldn't mention anything :-)
>
> Thanks.  And I'll try to help out with whatever explodes.

Hello David,
  Probably the first thing I should mention is that the procps is
different to the one RedHat uses (if you are here without the RedHat hat
on then it doesn't matter). Just letting you know in case you're looking
at their package and wondering what all the fuss is about.

Yes, I suppose actually specifying what sort of breakage would of made
everyone's job easier, sorry about that.

The problems I would expect would be things like it doesn't compile
correctly, it compiles but puts a 32 bit library in the wrong directory
or puts a 64 bit library in the wrong directory.

If you compile it, install it and are happy about what libproc.so.3.2.2
is and where it has been installed then you have none of the foreseeable
set of problems.

I've hard-coded for the library to be installed in /lib to get around
problems we had on one of the 64-bit arches, possibly sparc or hppa.
I cannot find the bug # about it but it put the wrong file in the
wrong directory.

That hard coding might cause problems on sparc, but more likely on
things like ia64, hppa or amd64. I don't understand those arches at
all.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer