Re: apache1.3.26 & php4

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, iago wrote:

> hi.
> I installed php4 and then added the suggested line in /etc/apache/httpd.conf
> to load the related module.
> But now when I try to start apache I get a string failed and a strange error
> message in /var/log/error.log:
> PHP Fatal error:  Unable to start session mm module in Unknown on line 0
> Now I'm wondering about the meaning. I don't know if it is related only to
> SPARC or if it's configuration problem. I checked my configuration, but it
> seems t be correct and working without mod_php loaded.

This is a problem related to kernel shared memory being set too low.  Had
the same issue on my SS5.  You need to up the limit in /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Stick something like this in /etc/sysctl.conf and you should be fine
(worked for me on my SS5 with 104MB RAM).

kernel/shmmax=40000000

Hope this helps,
Rich.