Re: 2.4 kernel for SUNstation 20

> All your queries are valid, so I'll add some more detail...
>
> I know linux, but really only on i386 - sparc newbie alert! ;-)
>
> I've got woody running fine but want to use iptables before I put my machine
> on the web, hence the query.
You could just use ipchains.  Syntax is a little different IIRC but the
core functionality is the same.

> I got another reply suggesting  kernel-image-2.4.26-sparc32, which I have just
> found on unstable (Is this the pre-release version of sarge?), is this a good
> recommendation?
If the problem is "I want to be able to firewall the box to put it on
the net" then no, I recommend using ipchains - this is the path of least
change / hassel.  If the problem is "I want a 2.4 series kernel on this
here SparcStation 20" then it's not a bad recommendation.  Personally
I'd look in testing first:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.24-sparc32

If you have time to play around then I'm sure the testing team would
love another report that
http://packages.debian.org/testing/debian-installer/kernel-image-2.4.24-sparc32-di
works fine :-)

HTH