Re: 2.4 kernel for SUNstation 20

On Thursday 29 Apr 2004 11:06 pm, Martin wrote:
> > Can anyone confirm if I can use kernel-image-2.4.19-sun4u for a
> > SUNstation 20?
>
> If you mean a SparcStation 20 then no.  It is a sun4m machine not a
> sun4u (which are 64 bit UltraSPARC based), thus an image for a sun4u
> isn't much use.
>
> See:
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/kernel-image-2.4.19-sun4u
> "NOTE: This kernel is strictly for UltraSPARC (sun4u) class systems. If
> you do not have an UltraSPARC, then most likely you want the sun4cdm
> image."
>
> However kernel-image-*-sun4cdm or kernel-image-*-sun4dm if likely to be
> what you're after.  If you have several processors in it then you'll
> want the smp versions (which the list archives for the best choice of
> SMP kernel for a SS20 - it can be a bit picky).
>
> > or do I need to build my own from sources ?
>
> Depends what you want.
>
> 1. A kernel that will work on a SparcStation 20 - no.
> 2. A particular piece of functionality - maybe
> 3. An exact kernel version - probably

Great, you've confirmed my reason for being concerned ;-)

All your queries are valid, so I'll add some more detail...

I know linux, but really only on i386 - sparc newbie alert! ;-)

I've got woody running fine but want to use iptables before I put my machine
on the web, hence the query.

I got another reply suggesting  kernel-image-2.4.26-sparc32, which I have just
found on unstable (Is this the pre-release version of sarge?), is this a good
recommendation?

Everard